MOD 013: Mr. Murphy just canceled your race

Merchants of Dirt Episode #13

When it comes to Mr. Murphy and bad weather ruining your off-road race, you need to have a cancellation policy, a rain date, and be ready to give refunds.

Key Take Away #1: Introduction to Mr. Murphy’s Laws of Racing

  • #1 – If something can go wrong with your race, it will go wrong with your race.
  • #2 – You never find a lost piece of equipment until you replace it.
  • #3 – Gear will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.
  • #4 – Smile. The next race will be worse.
  • #5 – Left to themselves, races tend to go from bad to worse.
  • #6 – Lack of planning can always be overcome with the proper amount of last minute enthusiasm.
  • #7 – A racer invariably gets hurt when they are at the furthest most inaccessible point on your course.
  • #8 – The first 90% of race planning takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.
  • #9 – If you are short of everything but racers, it’s race day.
  • #10 – The important things in a race are always simple; the simple are always hard.

Key Take Away #2: Mr. Murphy just canceled your race

As a race promoter, when it comes to bad weather ruining your race, you need to have three things ready to survive:

#1 — Always Have a Policy: If you want to provide a portion of their registration back after a certain date, you can, but make it clear what your policy is.

#2 — Always Have a Rain Day: You need to pick a rain date and make sure it is part of your permit. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

#3 — Always Plan for Refunds: You need to save back at least 50-percent of your pre-registration fees in case you need to provide refunds.

Bonus Tip

The secret to stopping Mr. Murphy is Contingency Planning.

Contingency planning is probably the most important event management process there is.

It is also the thing Mr. Murphy hates the most.

When you’re prepared to deal with issues BEFORE they happen, you minimize the impact Mr. Murphy will have on your race, even if you never have to use it.

And now you know.

What Do You Think?

I want to know what you think about my podcast! Please leave me feedback by doing the following:
  1. Go to the Merchants of Dirt Podcast iTunes page.
  2. Click View in iTunes under the show artwork.
  3. Submit a review and give it a 5-star rating!

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Subscribe on Android

Thank You for Listening

Thank you so much for listening to Merchants of Dirt Podcast. If you have questions or comments, please reach out to me @MerchantsofDirt on Twitter, by Email, or my Contact Form.

Join the Conversation

Join active members in the MOD Race Directors' Hangout community!

Kyle Bondo
Kyle Bondo is a thinker, podcaster, author, and creative strategy dragon seeking to make a small dent in the universe. He is the founder of Reckoneer, host of the Merchants of Dirt and Get Lost Racing podcasts, and an avid mountain biker and adventure racer.
You may also like
MOD 040: Oh, No! Where’s Kyle? He has all the gear!
MOD 030: Turn a No into a Yes with Relationship Building